FAQs About Getting Your Name Legally Changed in MO

Our lawyers at the Lake of the Ozarks occasionally get asked to help with a legal name change. This comes up from time to time, so Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, and Welch is here to answer a few frequently asked questions regarding getting your name legally changed in the state of Missouri. If you are in the process of trying to get your name legally changed, give our Camdenton law firm a call. We can answer any questions you may have and our consultations are free. Just call us at 573-346-7231.

FAQs About Getting Your Name Legally Changed in MO

Q: How does one go about legally changing their name in the state of Missouri?

A: You have to file a petition. According to the Missouri Courts:
"Persons 18 and older seeking to change their name may do so by filing a Petition for Change of Name. The petition must state important facts required by law in order for a name change to be granted. Generally, the petition must describe who you are, where you live, why you are seeking the change and whether the name change is being made in good faith and without intent to defraud creditors. The forms you will need are available from the Petition for Change of Name Forms page.  If you have limited money to spend, you may also ask a lawyer to help you with part of the process, such as drafting the petition, reviewing the petition after you complete it, appearing in court at a hearing, or helping you with publication. Court rules allow a lawyer to help a party with certain specific tasks without handling the entire case for a party. This is called Limited Scope Representation. A lawyer providing limited representation usually will charge a fixed fee or charge by the hour."

"The steps include:

  • Filing of a verified petition;
  • A brief hearing;
  • Entry of judgment; and
  • Publication of the name change in the legal section of the newspaper ."

Q: How do you go about filing this petition?

A: This process involves you getting the petition notarized and the petition has to be filed in the county where you currently live. According to the Missouri Courts:

"A Petition for Change of Name must be verified before it can be filed. This means you must swear or affirm the truth of the facts in the petition. Then you must sign the Petition under oath before a notary. The petition must be filed in the circuit court in the county where you live."

Q: Are there filing fees?

A: There can be. In some cases, the court may waive the filing fees but you would have to apply for it to do so.

Need Help Getting Your Name Legally Changed in MO?

If you are trying to get your name legally changed in the state of Missouri, it can really help to just have the guidance of an experienced attorney at the Lake of the Ozarks. We have helped others do this very thing and we'd be happy to help you as well. Just give us a call at 573-346-7231 for your free consultation today and let's get started.

Law Offices of Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, & Welch, P.C.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising. When you need a knowledgeable attorney, we invite you to contact us to set up a consultation. 

We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
109 East Highway 54, Suite 103
Camdenton, Missouri
(573) 346-7231 - Telephone
(888) 236-2485 - Toll-Free
(573) 346-4411 - Fax


Popular posts from this blog

How Can a Criminal Record Affect Your Future?

Meet our Attorneys - Charles E. McElyea

Hot Summer Nights 2015