Advice for Parents of Children in Juvie

Nothing is more heartbreaking than hearing your child has committed a crime and is now in the juvenile justice system because of it. You may be thinking what could have been going on in my child's mind to think that was ok? Were they acting out to get my attention? Is this my fault? Where did I go wrong? Questioning yourself is not going to help, but knowing how the legal system works and your child's rights may. Our juvenile criminal defense lawyers at the Lake of the Ozarks are here to give advice to parents of children in juvie. If you find yourself in need of a Camden County juvenile criminal defense lawyer, call Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, and Welch today at 573-346-7231 for your free consultation today.

Know How Old Your Child Must Be to Be Tried as a Juvenile
He or she may only be tried by the court as a juvenile until his or her 17th birthday for committing a status offense. If a juvenile has committed abuse or neglect toward anyone, then he or she may only be tried in court as a juvenile until his or her 18th birthday. If a child commits what is referred to as a "status offense," it could be any one of the following crimes:

  • Underage drinking of alcohol
  • Possession of alcohol (Minor in Possession)
  • Underage use of tobacco
  • Underage possession of tobacco
  • A city or country curfew violation
  • Running away
  • Truancy
  • An offense that is beyond the control of parents

Know the Difference Between Adult Court and Juvenile Court
There are a number of differences between the proceedings for a juvenile case and an adult case. Whereas adults commit crimes, undergo trials, and are delivered sentences upon being convicted, juveniles commit "delinquent acts," undergo "adjudication hearings," and may be delivered "dispositions" as well as sentences.

Know What Can Happen to Your Child for Committing a Status Offense
Punishments can vary from state to state, but typically they could receive one of the following punishments:

  • Paying a fine
  • Counseling or an educational program
  • Placed in the custody of someone else, possibly another relative or foster home
  • Suspension of their driver's license

Need an Experienced Juvenile Criminal Defense Lawyer at the Lake of the Ozarks?

Knowing one your kids is in the juvenile system can be one of the most stressful things to go through as a parent. Legal advice from an experienced attorney at the Lake of the Ozarks can go a long way. This can be an emotional time and having that objective guidance at your side can really help. For a free consultation, give us a call today.

Law Offices of Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, & Welch, P.C.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising. When you need a knowledgeable attorney, we invite you to contact us to set up a consultation. 

We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.

85 Court Circle N.W., P.O. Box 559
Camdenton, MO 65020   GET A MAP
(573) 346-7231 - Telephone
(888) 236-2485 - Toll-Free
(573) 346-4411 - Fax


Popular posts from this blog

Pumkin Chunkin Palooza Will Be Here Soon!

The 33rd Annual Fall Harbor Hop is Coming Up!

How to Keep Your Divorce From Becoming Even Worse