Questions & Answers with Attorney Ron Carpenter


The Law Offices of Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter & Welch, P.C. have the best attorneys in the Lake of the Ozarks area and a top notch support team to help you with most legal issues.  We want to feature the outstanding members of our firm via a series of Blogs where we ask some questions and get some insight on why they went into Law, learn about them as individuals, and feature what they do when they are not at work helping others.  We hope you enjoy this series, and we will feature a different team member every other week.

Question - Why did you become a lawyer?

Answer -  That is a good question because I almost didn’t become one.  I was in Forestry School at the University of Missouri scheduled to graduate in 1970 and it became apparent to most of us that there were no jobs in that field due to a recession that we were then going through.  I could have accepted a Fellowship in the Department of Plant Physiology (where I was working part time) but a Master’s Degree in that field doesn’t do you any good unless you take the next step and get a PhD which didn’t really appeal to me.  My father-in-law, Hugh Phillips, was a lawyer, and although I had never really considered the law as a career, I talked with him and decided I would give it a shot since I couldn’t think of anything better to do at the time.

Question - Where did you go to School?

Answer -  I graduated from Camdenton High School in 1966 and from the University of Missouri with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Forestry in 1970. I then attended law school at the University of Missouri and graduated with a Juris Doctor Degree in 1973. I was then an Assistant Public Defender in the Twenty Judicial Circuit comprised of Franklin, Gasconade, and Osage Counties before joining the law firm of Phillips and McElyea on June 6, 1974 with my 40th anniversary coming up on June 6, 2014.

Question - Who is your family?

Answer -  In January of 1969 I married Jo Phillips and we have now been married 45years.  We have two children, a daughter Amy and a son Hugh Douglas.  Amy and my son-in-law, Louis Schnoebelen, have given us 3 delightful grandchildren, Mary, age 13, Isaiah, age 8 and Phoebe, age 4.  They live in Fulton where my son-in-law is a school teacher and my daughter is a social worker.  My son Hugh Douglas works at First National Bank of Camdenton.

Question - What is your favorite movie?

Answer - Schindler's List

Question - Is there a particular part of practicing law that makes you most proud?

Answer -  Lawyers are problem solvers and living in relatively rural area you encounter a wide variety of problems that people face.  I derive particular enjoyment from helping people avoid problems before they become serious.  Unfortunately, most people don’t realize they have a problem until they are immersed in it.

Question - What are your goals after practicing law?

Answer - After practicing law for 40 years I am slowing down and plan to spend more time playing golf, traveling and spending time with my grandkids.

Question - What are your hobbies?

Answer -  My wife and I both enjoy traveling and having our grandkids come to visit.

Question - When you want to relax what do you like to do?

Answer -  I like to play golf or watch sports on television, especially Mizzou Tiger football, and read.



Question - Who is your favorite U.S. President and why?

Answer -  This is also a difficult question to answer.  I admire and respect George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln.  These are all early presidents but in the 20th century I would have to say my favorite president is Ronald Reagan as he helped engineer the end of the Cold War and the fall of the Soviet Union.

Question -  What is the last book you really enjoyed and why?

Answer - The trilogy of books by Rick Bragg about rural life in northeastern Alabama, growing up poor and the social infrastructure.  An excellent author who handles his subject matter with the knowledge that only personal experience can bring.



We Are Effective Camden County Lawyers for all of your legal needs.
We Are There When You Need Us.

Subscribe to our blog for interesting legal information, announcements, and happenings around Lake of the Ozarks.

Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is created by publication of this Blog.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Law Offices of Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, & Welch, P.C.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising. When you need a knowledgeable attorney, we invite you to contact us to set up a consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available. We have access to interpreters.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover

Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter & Welch, P.C.
85 Court Circle N.W., P.O. Box 559
Camdenton, MO 65020   GET A MAP
(573) 346-7231 - Telephone
(888) 236-2485 - Toll Free
(573) 346-4411 - Fax





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons To Hire A Criminal Defense Attorney

Legal Tips to Be Aware of When Entering Into a Marriage

Consequences Of Having A Criminal Record