What To Do if You are Not Receiving Child Support around the Holidays

The holidays can be a season of joy, but it also can be a stressful financial time for single parents. You want to give your child the best Christmas possible, but if you are not receiving child support payments in a timely manner (or at all) during this time of year, you may be struggling to make the perfect Christmas a reality. Our experienced child support attorneys at the Lake of the Ozarks are here to give you some advice if you are not receiving your child support payments.

Possible Reasons for Delays in Child Support around the Holidays

A couple of reasons as to why you may be experiencing delays in your child support around the holidays specifically, can include:

The parent paying child support quit or lost his job in the holiday season.

If your co-parents wages were being garnished to cover your child support payments and all of a sudden you stop receiving payments, there’s a possibility that he or she either quit or lost his or her job.

Christmas Day and New Year’s Day don’t actually count as business or banking days.

If your child support payments are being automatically withdrawn and you are used to receiving them on the same day every month, but you experience a delay near the holiday that could be because banks are closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Be sure to plan ahead of time for that.

Source: https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/citizens-guide-us-federal-law-child-support-enforcement

According to Section 228 of Title 18, United States Code:

“It is illegal for an individual to willfully fail to pay child support in certain circumstances.”

“For one, an individual is subject to federal prosecution if he or she willfully fails to pay child support that has been ordered by a court for a child who lives in another state, or if the payment is past due for longer than 1 year or exceeds the amount of $5,000.  A violation of this law is a criminal misdemeanor, and convicted offender face fines and up to 6 months in prison.”

“If, under the same circumstances, the child support payment is overdue for longer than 2 years, or the amount exceeds $10,000, the violation is a criminal felony, and convicted offenders face fines and up to 2 years in prison.”

“Lastly, this statute prohibits individuals obligated to pay child support from crossing state lines or fleeing the country with the intent to avoid paying child support that has either been past due for more than 1 year or exceeds $5,000. Any individual convicted of this crime may face up to 2 years in prison.”

Don’t Go Through a Child Support Dispute Alone.

Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, & Welch are here to help you get the child support that you are owed. You depend on that support not only to give your child that fantastic Christmas they deserve, but to pay for every day needs that your child has. We are mindful of the fact that every case is unique and we can be there for you every step of the way. For a free 30 minute consultation, call our law office at the Lake of the Ozarks today.

Law Offices of Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, & Welch, P.C.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising. When you need a knowledgeable attorney, we invite you to contact us to set up a consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available. We have access to interpreters.

We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.

85 Court Circle N.W., P.O. Box 559
Camdenton, MO 65020   GET A MAP
(573) 346-7231 - Telephone
(888) 236-2485 - Toll Free
(573) 346-4411 - Fax

Like Us on Facebook


Popular posts from this blog

The Mardi Gras Pub Crawl (Don't Drink & Drive)

Pumkin Chunkin Palooza Will Be Here Soon!

The 33rd Annual Fall Harbor Hop is Coming Up!