You May Qualify for Alimony If...

Divorce, as you can imagine, can be one of the hardest things anyone can go through in life. It's not like this is something people plan for, it just happens. If you do find yourself in this tough situation, always get advice from an experienced divorce attorney at the Lake of the Ozarks. You don't want to make a hasty decision while you are in an emotional state. In some Missouri divorces, alimony comes into play. Alimony or spousal support is the financial support the court has ordered a spouse to pay a former spouse after divorce or separation. Keep reading to learn when alimony may be court ordered.

You May Qualify for Alimony If...

The court looks at a number of things before declaring alimony to someone.

Factors That Can Determine Alimony

  • The physical condition of the spouse requesting alimony, along with;
  • The age
  • The emotional condition
  • The debts and assets of both spouses
  • The behavior of both spouses during the marriage
  • How long the marriage was
  • The financial situation of the dependent spouse
  • Property awarded to the requesting spouse per the divorce
  • The time it would take for the dependent spouse to receive education or further training to possess a job
  • The earning capacity of both spouses
  • The standard of living during the marriage

How a Divorce Can Legally Start in the First Place

According to the Missouri Courts:

A dissolution of marriage is a legal process that terminates the marital rights and responsibilities between spouses. It will substantially affect your financial and personal life. Issues commonly involved in a dissolution case are grounds for:

  • Dissolution
  • Classification 
  • Division of assets of the spouses
  • Ongoing obligations to provide for a spouse after the dissolution
  • The welfare of any children of the marriage
  • Tax consequences

These materials are intended for uncontested matters without complex issues.

The spouse who starts the dissolution case is called the petitioner. The spouse on the other side is called the respondent. The petitioner has to tell the court in a written "petition" what the case is about, who the case is against, and what outcome (known as relief) is wanted. This typically includes a request for dissolution along with the division of property, child custody, and child support. The "petition" must be complete and include certain information required by law. 

Seek Advice from an Experienced Divorce Lawyer at the Lake of the Ozarks

A divorce shouldn't be approached without having all the facts first. You should have an objective guide during this emotional time. This is where we come in. Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, and Welch is here to guide you through this tough time. Call today for your free consultation, 573-346-7231.

Law Offices of Phillips, McElyea, Carpenter, & Welch, P.C.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising. When you need a knowledgeable attorney, we invite you to contact us to set up a consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available. We have access to interpreters.

We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.

85 Court Circle N.W., P.O. Box 559
Camdenton, MO 65020   GET A MAP
(573) 346-7231 - Telephone
(888) 236-2485 - Toll-Free
(573) 346-4411 - Fax


Popular posts from this blog

Pumkin Chunkin Palooza Will Be Here Soon!

The 33rd Annual Fall Harbor Hop is Coming Up!

How to Keep Your Divorce From Becoming Even Worse